What I Have Been Up To
I’ve started about ten posts since the beginning of summer trying to put into words an update, how I feel, where I went, how I’m doing, but for whatever reason I haven’t been able to. I don’t post nearly as much as I used to on social media. I haven’t shared any of the discoveries that I have made in the last six months. I haven’t written ANYTHING since the summer. My brain was so tired of trying to put my ideas on the page, that I’m enjoying keeping them in my head or sharing them in person.
I was also just tired. Tired of making myself progress instead of standing still and enjoying where I was. The last two years feel like such a blur. There was something new every single day that I had to dwell on, to write about, to share with many other people. I didn’t realize it, but that life was exhausting.
So what have I been up to?
- I moved to Richmond and in with Ben, which was our dream for a really long time. We have a great living situation and as a couple we work so well together. This experience has proved over and over that I have found the person I will spend the rest of my life with.
- I’ve been reading. For fun. Whatever I want. It felt like a foreign concept at first, but now I have read more than I did last two years combined, in just a few short months. A couple of my favorites that have stuck out to me are, The Immoralists, by Chloe Benjamin and An Absolutely Remarkable Thing by Hank Green. If you read them or have read them, I’d love to discuss.
- I’m working all the time, but that is okay because I love all three of my jobs (yes I did just say THREE.) Throughout the summer I must have applied to over 100 jobs and gone to at least 9-10 interviews, most for full-time positions. I was frustrated when the first of August came around and I still didn’t have a job. By the end of the month I had two part-time jobs, and the third one came shortly after that. So now I work part-time at a cafe nearby and at Henrico County libraries! I also substitute for Chesterfield County Library systems every once in a while.
- I’ve found friends in unexpected places. At first, I was really upset with the part-time gigs. I thought since I had graduated, I should be working a full-time job. But over the last several weeks I am finding myself so thankful for the friendships I have made at work. Moving to a new place has been hard, but I know that I’m where I am supposed to be.
- I’m participating in Dressember again, which has been fun and eye opening, even more so than last year. You can check out my Instagram @sophiadressember or my advocate page here. I’d love any awareness or donation that you felt led to do/give.
Those feel like the biggest things I needed to update the world on. Life has moved on and I am finding myself okay with where I am right here, right now. For years, I felt like I had to be progressing a quick pace, now I feel like its okay that everything has slowed down. There is still forward motion in my life, it is just at a slow walk. And I have more dreams and goals I want to accomplish, but right now I’m just going to enjoy this time of rest.